Keeping your caravan up to date and in good condition is of the utmost importance, in relation to driving safely and ensuring that all appliances are functioning safely. When purchasing a second hand caravan or if you have neglected your caravan, or wish to sell it, it is important to ensure the the following check list is followed to register and receive roadworthy for your caravan.
Here is your checklist and important guide to ensure that your caravan is roadworthy and ready to use.
How to receive a roadworthy for your caravan?
The following checklist is required to be complete to receive a caravan roadworthy.
Ensure to review each appliance on your caravan that is it fully functioning and safe including:
– Safety chains
– Brakes and external lights working correcting, reflectors working correctly.
– Wheels, tyre’s and suspension in good condition and functioning well.
– Battery is fully charged
– Windscreen wipers are functioning and washer bottle is full.
– Tyres have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm and that the tyre placard is the recommended size, load rating and pressure.
How to get your caravan roadworthy?
To get your caravan in roadworthy condition, it’s wise to have it checked over by a mechanic. Although you have given it a once over, you must get it certified roadworthy certificate by a mechanic, they will look at the following parts:
– Coupling and safety chains: Check these are in good condition.
– Brakes and external lights: Ensure that these work correctly.
– Wheels, tyres, wheel bearings and suspension: Check that these are in good condition, particularly if the caravan has been stationary for some time.
– Tyres: Make sure that these are all the same type and size and have a minimum tread depth of 1.6mm. Additionally, check that the tyre placard has the recommended tyre size, load rating and tyre pressures.
Condition of your towing vehicle
You must ensure that your towing vehicle is in good mechanical condition,
In addition to your caravan, it’s vital that your towing vehicle is in sound mechanical condition.
State highway and road authorities
Each state and road authority has its own regulations and rules towards roadworthy, therefore it is important to familiarize yourself with the processes and information and state details:
See your link government details to find out more information, links here:
If you want to be able to inspect and certify caravan installations for compliance (gas appliances internally), all servicing work on caravan gas systems can be complete. See Bizmatrix Gas Work Licence Restricted to Service course for more information about how you can get your Caravan certification. You can learn more about the course here.
Frequently asked questions
- What is the difference between a roadworthy and safety certificate?
There is no difference, a road worthy certificate is also called a safety certificate (See here for more information).
2. How long is the roadworthy certificate QLD valid for?
– Licensed motor dealers—certificates are valid for 3 months or 1,000km (whichever comes first) from the date of issue
– All other sellers—certificates are valid for 2 months or 2,000km (whichever comes first) from the date of issue.
To find out more about a Caravan Roadworthy see the following links below: