In case you weren’t aware, Australia’s preparing for a massive heatwave over the next few days. So we thought it was worth sharing our tips for staying cool in this heat. If you’re working onsite, there are a number of ways to reduce the effects the warm weather has on you, so here are our tips:
Clothing & Attire
- Wear light coloured clothing – black and dark colours hold the heat.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses – keep your face out of the sun.
- Fabrics – cotton and linen are the best fabrics for cooling.
- Grab a water bottle and make sure you’re sipping on water all day, not just when you feel thirsty.
- Juice is a great way to add nutrients to your body.
- Stay away from alcohol and caffeine, which will dehydrate you further.
Try to stay out of the sun in the middle of the day. Of course, your job may require you to be in the sun in the middle of the day. Causes of heat stress include lack of airflow, too much sun exposure and dehydration.
Quick cooling spots
Get to know your body’s pulse points, which are quick cooling spots. Your neck, wrists and ankles are particularly susceptible to temperature. Therefore run your wrists and ankles down with cold water. Also try wrapping a damp bandanna around these spots temporarily. This will help to significantly cool down your overall body temperate.
All Bizmatrix training programs are conducted indoors (practical training) or in air conditioning (theory). If you’re looking at completed a First Aid training so you can respond quickly to those affected by the heat, check out our training programs here.